Chinook Learning Services - return to homepage adult English Language Learning | exciting & innovative ways to improve your English skills
Follow Chinook on twitter Friend Chinook on facebook
cbe.ab.casite mapstudent login

contact adult ELL

e |
t | 403-777-6821

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for full-time funding from the Alberta Government for Adult ESL classes?

The first step is to call 403-777-6821 to make an appointment for a FREE placement test. After the placement test, we will tell you if we have a course at your level. If we do, we will help you apply for full-time Funding. If you are approved, you will study 20 hours a week. The government will pay the cost of tuition and books and you may be eligible for a living allowance.

2. What are the requirements for funding?

  • You must live in Alberta.
  • For Permanent Residents: Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
  • For Canadian Citizens: There is no minimum CLB requirement.
  • An advisor will tell you about the requirements regarding your financial situation to be eligible for Funding.

3. How long does the process of applying for funding from the Alberta Government take?

Funding applications may take up to 12 weeks to process. Be sure to apply early.

4. Who is eligible for the LINC program?

The LINC Program (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) is offered free of charge through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to permanent residents and refugees. Canadian citizens are not eligible.